Frequently Asked Questions
- I have an existing license; may I add more users (CPUs)?
Yes. Our pricing model incorporates bulk discounts, so you will save money by paying the difference between your existing license and the new one (instead of purchasing a second license). We make this change manually, so please simply use our contact form to let us know the number of users you would like to add. Be sure to provide your Shop Order or License number
- Can I self-host your fonts on my website?
We license permission for self-hosting by issuing an Addendum to our Basic License. The Addendum can only be issued to the owner of the brand associated with the website(s), so they must also be the holder of the Basic License. Licensees who do not need to install the fonts for desktop use can be issued a zero user basic license. For more information and a pricing table please refer to the “web addendum”, “info” and “pricing” tabs of our “exemplar EULA” page. As with all addenda, self-hosted web embedding must be licensed directly with us and can’t be done over our website. To get a quote please send a request using our contact form
- We want to use webfonts for one subdomain of our website. Can we get a webfonts license limited to that?
Our standard webfonts pricing is based on the average page views for the entire website. Our experience is that limited uses often migrate to larger areas of a site, and it’s hard for us (and you) to keep tabs on limited uses. We are able to license part of a website only in a few exceptional situations where the area is by definition or design very separate from the rest of the website, giving us a high degree of confidence that the use will not migrate. For example, a daily publication that has a separately branded magazine which uses its own style guide and employs separate design staff is likely to qualify whereas a company which uses a font only for a blog associated with its primary brand is not. If you think your situation might qualify please contact us to start a conversation. Only licensees who obtain prior permission for an exception to the whole website pricing model will be eligible.
- Can I embed your fonts in my application?
We license permission for embedding via an Addendum to our Basic License. The Addendum can only be issued to the owner of the brand associated with the application(s), so they must also be the holder of the Basic License. Licensing is platform neutral. Licensees who do not need to install the fonts for desktop use can be issued a zero user basic license. For more information and a pricing table please refer to the “application addendum”, “info” and “pricing” tabs of our “exemplar EULA” page. As with all addenda, application embedding must be licensed directly with us and can’t be done over our website. To get a quote please send a request using our contact form.
- Do you have an addendum for Epub use?
Darden Studio Desktop licensing permits use in products, including books and magazines, where the fonts are not embedded. If your e-publishing use includes PDF file type as the final deliverable, please contact us for a PDF embedding addendum. If you are using another method of embedding, please contact us to discuss other licensing options. If you are not embedding the fonts, you don’t need additional licensing.
- I'm interested in a testing license. How do I arrange it?
- I have reviewed your standard EULA and want to use the fonts in way that is not permitted under the license. How may I obtain additional rights?
Most additional uses are permissible with the purchase of an Addendum. Please write to us, via our contact form, and describe your additional use in order to request a quote.
- I would like to use your fonts on a product I will offer for sale. Is that allowed?
With one notable exception, if your use is on printed material or a static image it is permitted by our standard license even if it is incorporated into a product or it’s packaging. We do not permit licensees to use our fonts to make letter-form products as defined by section 1.d. of the Basic License.
- I have an existing a la carte license; may I add more styles to it?
Yes, please contact us directly to modify your license.
- Do you have relationships with any third-party webhosting services?
Yes. Omnes Pro, Jubilat, and Dapifer are all available via Adobe TypeKit – as are some styles of Halyard.
- I don’t want to pay extra for a Webfont, but want to use your fonts on my website: is there a “free” option that's permitted by my Basic License?
Yes, our Basic License permits the use of our fonts as static images on websites without any additional licensing.
- Do you sell enterprise licenses?
We sell what we call a “Group License,” which permits the licensee to install the fonts on an unlimited number of computers that are owned by it, within a defined group. Any group of more than 120 users, that can be defined, can be licensed. As with all large licenses, we process purchases of Group Licenses manually. If you would like to arrange one, please use our contact form to initiate the purchase. If you would like to allow the font software to be used by an unlimited number of individuals who are not employees of the licensee, you may separately purchase an unlimited Distribution Addendum to your License.
- I would like to use your font to make a logo. Do I need to pay for additional licensing?
So long as the logo is rendered in a static form additional licensing is not required.
- I am using a Darden Studio font on my website via TypeKit. If I want to use the font for some other aspect of my business, do I need to make a purchase from you?
- I love Birra! What sorts of usage am I permitted with it?
Birra is made available subject to the conditions that are contained in our standard EULA. Click here to view the EULA.
- My company has more than one location. Do I need to license each separately?
No. Our licenses are issued to a company. As long as the fonts are installed on computers owned by the named company, it does not matter where the computers are located.
- My company owns other companies and/or multiple brand identities. Do I need to license each separately?
Yes. Our licenses are intended for the use of the named licensee only. If the entity named in the license is the parent company, then its use will be limited to the business of the named parent company and will not include the business of the subsidiaries.
- My company uses a font server or virtual machines. How do I know what size license to purchase?
Simply count the number of computers that will be able to access the fonts and add one for each computer of the server. This is true even if your font server permits you to restrict the number of simultaneous users. For example: If you have a three CPU font server and eight computers that will be able to use the fonts from the server, you need an eleven CPU license.
- Legal documents confuse me. Are there a few easy rules for me to follow so I know what I can and can't do without purchasing additional rights?
Yes. . . and no. Here’s your cheat sheet: One, the Basic License permits only the named licensee to use the font files. Two, the named licensee is allowed to use the fonts in static format and to send static files to any unlicensed user. (the exception is that use of the fonts – even statically – as a letter-form product is prohibited.) Three, any live electronic use requires an Addendum. Four, no one is allowed to modify the font files without our specific permission.
But our lawyer makes us add the “. . . and no” because a short list cannot replace a four-page document. When in doubt, ask us via the contact form or consult an attorney.
- How does your desktop pricing model work?
Our pricing model discounts the price per CPU whenever more than one CPU is licensed and/or more than one style is licensed. For Halyard, we also apply discounts if a license contains more than one sub family.
- I’d like to know what it will cost to add web/application embedding… Is that publicly posted?
For more information and a pricing table please refer to our “exemplar EULA” page.
- Do you offer educational discounts?
Yes. All people with valid IDs from accredited educational institutions are eligible for a 50% discount (as are the institutions themselves). For a license covering fewer than 250 CPUs, please first apply for a discount code by filling out the application on our contact form. You will need to be ready to upload an image of your valid ID when you submit the form. Unfortunately, we are not able to issue discounts once a purchase is complete.
- Do you offer discounts to charities?
We determine, on a case by case basis, if we are able to offer a 50% discount to a qualifying charity. Please use our contact form to request consideration.
- My company is tax-exempt in New York State. How do I arrange to pay for my license without being charged sales tax?
Any purchase on our website will automatically include sales tax to New York State entities. Therefore, please use our contact form to let us know what you would like to buy, and be sure to attach proof of your tax-exempt status. We will manually process your order.
- Why can't I buy more than six styles a la carte?
You don’t really don’t want to do that. In fact, in order to save you money, we programmed our shopping cart to prevent a la carte purchases of more than six styles (because after that point it actually costs more than buying the complete family).
- Why can't I buy a license on your website for more than 250 CPUs?
To protect your security, we take all orders for licenses of 251 and more CPUs manually. To complete your order, please use our contact form to let us know what you would like to buy.
- What if I need a font in a format that is not sold on the site?
If you need a format that is not on our website, please do not make an online purchase. Instead, use the contact form to describe to us what you require. We can then let you know the time and cost (if applicable) to provide you with the alternate file format. In most cases, we can provide an alternately formatted font within a few business days at a modest or no cost.
- How do I license Freight?
- Can I get an invoice for the order I already completed on the website?
Our system automatically sends an electronic receipt upon completion of online purchases. Invoices are not created during an online purchase and cannot be made retroactively.
- Can I get a VAT receipt?
In our experience, formal “VAT receipts,” contain (among other details) the VAT number of the seller. As a U.S. company, we do not collect or report VAT. It is therefore impossible for us to generate a VAT receipt. If a receipt on letterhead, referencing your VAT number, would suffice you may request one using our contact form. Please be sure to provide your shop order number.
- I can see that the shopping cart asks for both “licensee” and “billing” information. What will happen if I enter different information in the two sections?
Entering different information in the licensee and billing sections at check-out will cause our website to send separate emails to the email addresses you provided: one to the licensee, which will contain the download link for the fonts and an exemplar End User License Agreement but no payment information; and one to the payee, which contains the receipt but no link to download the font.
- I'm a graphic designer, and I want to purchase a font on behalf of my client. May I do so on your website?
Yes. Just be sure to enter your information in the “payee” section and enter your client’s information in the “licensee” section. Our website will send two separate emails: one to the licensee, which will contain the download link for the fonts and an exemplar End User License Agreement but no payment information; and one to the payee, which contains the receipt but no link to download the font. Since all licenses are non-transferable and purchases made on our website cannot be refunded, please take special care to be sure that you enter the correct entity as the licensee. For licenses for more than 250 CPUs, you may still purchase on behalf of a client by using our contact form.
- I'm a reseller. May I make a purchase for my client on your website?
Resellers must obtain permission from us before making a purchase on our website. In order to start the process, please write us using the contact form.
- If I add some additional users to my license can I give the font files to my marketing, branding, graphic design or web-development vendor?
No, as the Basic License permits the font to be installed only on computers owned by the named licensee. In most cases, the best way to license third parties is for them to purchase an additional license. Clients who change vendors with some frequency will save money by purchasing a Distribution Addendum.
- What is a Distribution Addendum?
A Distribution Addendum is a good option for companies who have a changing list of outside vendors. It permits a licensee to share the font files with outside individuals and organizations without separate licensing.
- Does my printer need a License to print my materials?
No, the Basic License permits distribution to 2D printers on the condition that they delete the fonts on completion of the project.
- Your fonts aren't working properly in my version of Microsoft Word. Do you have an alternate version?
We currently have a Microsoft-compatible (MSC) version of Omnes Pro; it is available to licensed users upon request at no additional cost. We expect to have MSC versions of Jubilat and Dapifer soon. To request an MSC version of an already licensed font, please use our contact form and provide your license number.
- I licensed and installed a bunch of styles, but I’m not seeing the Bold in the dropdown menu of my software. How do I access it?
The fonts were installed properly.. However, some software only allows you to access Bold through a keystroke or button push, but not the dropdown menu.
- A while ago, I purchased a license with you. I need to install the fonts again on a licensed CPU, but I don’t have a copy of the files. What should I do?
Please use our contact form to ask that we refresh your download link. When you do, in order to quickly find your order, please be sure to include your Order Number or any other information you can provide about your purchase.
- Can I intern with you?
Unfortunately, we are not taking on any interns.